Friday, April 6, 2012

Diary of A Seed

Hey there, I've been working on a curriculum page on the topic of the plant life cycle, and I would greatly appreciate you checking it out! My latest addition is my example for digital story telling.



Any feedback on the example as well as what I have so far, would be very helpful!
(Please keep in mind that is a work in progress, and after switching around some things,
it looks a bit worse for wear.)

What I would really love some feedback on in particular is whether or not the 3rd Grade is
an appropriate grade level for this curriculum page (so far). (In terms of the links, I'm working on
finding more/better/easier to navigate websites, so bear with me) I was originally going to stick with
second grade, but after checking out the Sunshine State Standards for Science (as you may or may
not know, I'm originally from NY, so I'm not as familiar with the standards here), I decided to up it to
3rd grade. While I have student taught in kindergarten and second grade, I have never had a classroom
of my own. Any thoughts/suggestions/questions are welcome!


The wiki/curriculum page can be found here

Thank you so very much =)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your example! It is a very interesting thought for a student project I think 3rd grade should be able to do this. I teach 2nd and they learn about the plant life cycle, so 3rd grade should be able to go deeper into the thinking part. An idea is maybe have a handful of different seeds and have them each choose one without knowing what it is. They could then start growing them and keep the diary that way. This would also help with the timeline. They could incorporate actual pictures of their process. Have you thought to put music or voice-over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fun project. My son is in 1st grade, so using him as my reference, I would say this looks like a 3rd grade level project. Third graders would be able to go into a lot more detail. The previous post suggested having the students plant seeds. I agree, that would be a fun addition to the project. Then their own photos or sketches of their own plant could be included. You could potentially make a math connection by asking the students to include a timeline, bar graph or compare time of growth to size of plant or something like that. I'm not sure if 3rd graders work on percent? Might be a good idea to review math standards for that grade too. Great start on your project!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete