Friday, February 10, 2012

If You Can't Beat 'Em...Join 'Em.

I have emphasized previously that children (of all ages) are quite involved in the technological world. During some of my reading this week for my technology in Education course, I learned about the potential good and bad of the use of cell phones in schools. On one hand, since many students have them, they serve as a great tool in an emergency; however, the downside is since many of these new cellular devices(smartphones) have access to the internet, students may be tempted to cheat. Cell phones hold the promise of benefits that may outweigh the flaws, such as using SMS in order to have in class polls and conduct quick and efficient assessments of student learning. This got me thinking about other technologies that seem to come as a blessing and a curse in the lives of children and teens…video games.


I recently became very interested in video games and information regarding how many children and teens play them. I read an article posted on the Fox New Webpage, found here. One of the most interesting statistics stated in the entire article was that of the sample of 1,102 kids age 12-17, 97% played video games. When you really think about it though, it makes sense. Games include things like First Person Shooters (aka the ‘violent’ ones), casual ones like Guitar Hero, games played on handheld devices like the Nintendo DS and even the cell phone applications like Angry Birds that have become oh-so-popular. While the study mentioned only discussed kids in the preteen and teenage group, I know for a fact that there are many kids under 12 that play video games. Who hasn’t seen a seven year old clutching their handheld device like it was their life support? In other words, while having the numbers to back it up is great, the evidence is there. Kids play video games. And I have a confession; I love video games as well. I’ve played Pokémon, Mario Bros, Angry Birds and even yes, the ones involving shooting like Halo (aliens) and Left 4 Dead (a zombie one). But we all know the bad side of gaming. The arguments against playing not just violent games, but any games, are numerous and have been made often. Childhood obesity and bullying and things of that nature. But guess what; kids still like to play them. So the question I ask myself is… why? What draws them into the game and holds their attention when sometimes, a book can’t even manage the same task? So as a self-proclaimed gamer, I decided to ask myself why I like playing video games.


For me, video games go beyond the simple task of entertainment. They give me a sense of achievement when I accomplish tasks within the games. For example, after spending try after try attempting to knock those dastardly green pigs off their smug wooden, ice and stone perches, finally being able to solve the puzzle gives me a sense of pride. I also like the fact that before the achievement, there is a challenge, which makes the achievement that much sweeter. (See statement about angry birds for example) I also mentioned I enjoyed First Person Shooters (FPS for short), but not because I’m a war lover who’s thirsty for blood. It’s more of a social thing, and many of these games provide opportunities for you to play with friends. Additionally, FPS are objective based meaning small goals are set in order to reach the final goal (completing the game). A lot of these games also provide rewards like virtual badge, points, upgrades, new things to use and so on, giving the player a sense of joy in their achievement, even though many of them know that the points are essentially meaningless. I like casual games like the Sims and Guitar Hero because they allow for things like practice and learning from one’s mistakes. For example, in the Sims if you accidentally set your Sims’ house on fire by putting a couch near a fireplace, you realize your mistake and take that knowledge with you when you continue on. There is no penalty or punishment because it is all reversible (as long as you remembered to save). In guitar hero you decide to play your favorite song and are hit in the face with a guitar solo that seems far to impossible for your slow fingers, but if you mess up, you can practice. Finally, in many of these games you are given the choice to differentiate your gaming experience by choosing a hard, medium or easy/beginner level. I like this because I am better at some types of games, than I am at others and this allows me to enjoy them all.


So wait..
Challenge

Sense of Achievement

Objectives

Socializing

Rewards

Learning from Mistakes

Differentiation


Sound familiar? They should. These are all things that seem to be evident (in varying levels) in schools. Most of the time we only see objectives and rewards with attempts at using things such as challenge, objectives, and differentiation. But what does this all mean? I am by no means saying we should teach our games using solely video games themselves, or saying that we should discourage video game use by children entirely. What I am implying is that we, as educators, should take a look at the technologies that kids use, such as video games, and use what makes them so appealing to our advantage. Instead of focusing on just the main objective (aka beating the game), put emphasis on the challenge, achievement and even the socializing. Kids need to be able to work with one another, because they will be expected to do so in “real life”. When kids know they have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes with no harsh repercussions they may be more likely to do it in the first place. Also, by understanding that kids don’t fall into one level for all subjects (just like many don’t have the same ability level in particular video games), their education needs to be differentiated accordingly. I guess this is just something to think about as parents, educators and adults in general and help us remember that kids are usually good at telling us what they like, and we should pay attention.


If you can't beat 'em...

Join 'em.

3 comments:

  1. I think you have made one of the best posts about the educational benefits of video games that i have read so far! I totally relate to the sense of accomplishment, have seen the socialization aspect with my students, and have witness my son learn more through a game in five minutes than all day at school.
    So have you encouraged your students to play any games in class? Can you recommend good games for different age groups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a one that my kids loved until 4th grade. The Jumpstart series rocks. The games were fun. My daughter would call me in the room just to show me she could recharge a power generator using her multiplication facts! She was so happy. It's the JStart with the robot she loved the most (3rd grade maybe) Every Jumpstart had wonderful kid friendly graphics and content. I would use it in my classroom if they did not have required content already.

      Delete
  2. I am in agreement. There are so many good take always to students who are gaming. It is easy to ignore or blow them off as just games. My son was learning vocabulary and math from every game he played, that I approved of course. He learned logic and reasoning skills and how stats affected the final outcomes of events. He learned that a +3 sword did more damage than a -2 sword and a whole host of concepts that educators find daunting. My son and I played games together and talked about the results providing a reflective component to our game play. Our lunches were strategy sessions on how many life points we could gain in a popular game. I would create my profile to have great regenerative benefits and he would go doe damage output and we would reflect on what worked and what sis not. I feel we bonded well and worked together to solve problems. I think that gaming is misunderstood in the teaching community and has as many positives as there are perceived negatives.

    Thank you for a great post!!

    Scott Foster
    EME5050

    ReplyDelete